What can THEMIS add to the knowlege of Mars?
The THEMIS investigation has several science objectives:
- to determine the mineralogy and petrology of localized deposits associated with hydrothermal or sub-aqueous environments, and to identify sample return sites likely to represent these environments.
- to provide a direct link to the global hyperspectral mineral mapping completed by the MGS-TES by utilizing the same infrared spectral region at high (100m) spatial resolution.
- to study small-scale geologic processes and landing site characteristics using morphologic and thermophysical properties.
- to search for pre-dawn thermal anomalies associated with active sub-surface hydrothermal systems.
- to investigate the processes operating in the north and south polar caps at all seasons.
- to determine the spatial and temporal distribution of atmospheric dust and water-ice areosols.